Friday, October 30, 2009

Battery recycling







I have had an old laptop battery sitting around for awhile that I have been meaning to find an appropriate place to recycle.  The new battery came with a prepaid box through DHL to send the old battery back however DHL no longer delivers in the US. On Newer Tech's website they do list some resources for battery recycling and if you can't find a place locally if you fill out a form they will send you a prepaid shipping label.  I checked out some of the resources and this call2recycle.com had the best list of local resources for drop offs.  Unfortunately after I went to Southshore (I will never say Towne Centre) Office Max they no longer were on the program.  However they did take my old inkjet cartridges.  Radio Shack did take my laptop and 2 old AA batteries however that left me with the 2 alkaline's I also wanted to get rid of. Now they had to ride back to my house with me for another search for a place to take them.  Kudo's to Newer Tech for updating their technology to be more green and making it as easy as possible to recycle old laptop batteries and publishing some resources.  It should probably be obvious however I am sure many people just toss their old batteries in the trash.  According to the Duracell website alkaline batteries can be disposed of with normal household waste.  Their website says to "contact your local government for disposal practices in my area" Thumbs down to Duracell for not listing any resources.  I think I will just wrap them in a plastic six pack holder and go throw them in the bay.  Hopefully a Dolphin will come along and take them out to sea so I don't have to think about them anymore. (The previous sentence constitutes Philip's extremely dry and sarcastic sense of humor) For now I will not throw my alkaline batteries in the trash and continue to look for a more suitable place to dispose of them.  Kitchen drawer your 2 friends are back.  Rechargable batteries are getting better all the time.  It costs a little more upfront to buy these types of batteries but they are re-usable and more easily recyclable.  We all use alot of batteries in our lives out of necessity.  Think about buying rechargeable batteries next time you need a new set.

No comments:

Post a Comment